Thursday, May 14, 2009

Glacier Facts


The source of the Athabasca is the Columbia Icefield. When the glacier moves it carves rock and creates a valley. The ground up rock on the side of the glacier is called the lateral moraine. At the bottom there is the terminal moraine. The ground up rock that enters the river is called rock flour and creates beautiful blues in lakes and rivers.

Glaciers are very thick. Where I stood the ice thicker than the Eiffel Tower is tall.

In the winter time this glacier grows 15 meters, but in the summer it loses 25 meters. The glaciers is getting smaller every year.

1 comment:

  1. Brrrrrr..... And it's supposed to be 90 in San Francisco today! I just checked your route, and it looks like you have a long stretch ahead of you before you hit Dawson. I'll be looking forward to checking your blog and finding out what lies along your trail. I am SO glad I got the posting business worked out!

    ReplyDelete