Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bouncing by the Border

We got up and left Burwash Landing because we a long day of driving.

Some of the roads were bouncy and were like a roller coaster. This is because of frost heaves. Under the roads are permafrost, which is permanently frozen ground. But the roads casues is to melt in the summer and refreeze in the winter. This makes the road bumpy.

We saw the highest point in Canada, Mount Logan. It is near the US border.


We stopped on the border and I had a foot in each country, the US and Canada. My Dad asked me how many times I had been to Canada and I ran between the two countries.

We are spending the night in North Pole Alaska, near Fairbanks.

Tomorrow we are not going to the Arctic Circle, but we are going to spend some time in Fairbanks and then head down to Denali.

Today's Distance -- 651 km
Today's Route

No comments:

Post a Comment